Alek's "15 Seconds (or 15 MegaWatts!) of Fame" with the Controllable Christmas Lights
My Holiday lights got a bit of attention when there were
12,000 christmas lights in 2000 and
16,000 christmas lights in 2001,
but the interest really took off in
2002 with 22,000 christmas lights AND webcam/webcontrol.
Plus starting in 2003, I did a warm-up
with Halloween Decorations.
While I'd be hard pressed to "top" what happened
in christmas 2004,
the saga/interest just continues each year.
Main christmas decorations page and misc. Christmas videos including TV segments.
- christmas 2002: Fair amount of print media - both local papers and overseas ... plus lotta online interest.
- christmas 2003: LOTS more traffic - be sure to
read the stats including Slashdot Effect Analysis
- christmas 2004: Was just crazy - every media outlet on the planet!
- christmas 2005: Raising money for Celiac with ... Controllable Christmas Lights! ;-)
- christmas 2006: The Controllable Christmas Lights saga continues for the 5th year ...
- christmas 2007: More fun controlling the lights and the total raised for Celiac goes over $25,000 ...
- christmas 2008: Colonel Sanders picks my site as the winner in Nationwide KFC Holiday Contest - Celiac Charity gets another $1,000 and I get free KFC for a year - BBUURRPP!! ;-)
- christmas 2009: Coverage in local papers, Today Show, New York Times, etc. - total raised for Celiac goes over $40,000 ... plus gotta love the new 15' inflatable Santa Balloon!
- christmas 2010: Best of Denver Holiday Lighting, Bloomberg Business Week, Rocketboom, WBAL-TV, etc.
- christmas 2011/2012/2013: Wasn't tracking media coverage much and forgot to save clippings/examples - D'OH! ;-)
- christmas 2014: last year of the Controllable Christmas Lights for Celiac Disease - raised over $83,000 for charity! ;-)