LPRng, 10/98 -
Alek`s Free Personal Web Pages
<=== Navigation Buttons
- LPRng Software & Architecture is mature and has good feature set
- Some applications try to be too smart - ex: Mentor Graphics
- People may not want Motherhood & Apple pie
- Do I want all printers seeable?
- Poliferation of print servers (getting back under control)
- Failure of Sysadmins to communicate and/or follow procedures
- LPRng/printing typically fails due to people, not technology ...
- Political (un)acceptability of UNIX based printing solution
- Rumours of migration to NT-based hybrid printing model
- Plotter capability remain hosted by UNIX
- Will current NT compatability be replicated for UNIX?
- Would be nice to move to "utility" model of printing
- I.e. the bathrooms stay put - why not printers & print servers?
- Provide infrastructure by area, not program (ala Networking)