LPRng, 10/98 -
Alek`s Free Personal Web Pages
<=== Navigation Buttons
Unix Vendor Support
- BSD (lpr) and SystemV (lp) from UNIX vendors have differences
- Even slight differences with same print model!
- lpd is much more commonly support protocal (ex: NT)
- No easy way to scale as shipped
- Our Site: 1,000+ printers, ~100 print servers, 1,200+ UNIX boxes, ?!? NT
- Limited support for plotters (we ARE Rocket Scientists! ;-)
- Requires lpd process on each clients
- lpd blows up with lots of printers, printtool dies, etc.
- lpd dies from time to time
- requires spool directory on each client
- printcap files are very difficult to share
- Weak diagnostic messages confuses users and Sysadmins
- Weak remote queue management leads to confusion
- Can take a few HOURS to update a large number of hosts!
- Supported by vendors ... or is it?
- When is the last time you got M$ to fix something?!?