Stuff learned from Yadu
- LOTS of files have not been accessed in a year
- LOTS LOTS of files have not been modified in a year
- Mail Files taken up a LOT of space
- Millions of Netscape and IE cache files stored on servers
Address by fixing application to use /tmp (and then wipe 'em out)
- Possible duplicate data
- Lotsa "remove", "delete", "archive" stuff out there
Have to be careful ... but STUFF_delete_after_Y2K *CAN* go!
- Users who are terminated may have files on other locations/servers
Labor intensive to address ... but defers problems
- Lotsa of files owned by users who don't exist in password file
Sometimes difficult to find out who they really were! ;-)
- We may have missed removing some users/files of folks who have left.
- LOTS of files in homedirs owned by root (usually not hard to fix)
- Variety of suspect files (ex: MP3) around
- Variety of files > 100 MBytes and not accessed in 3 months
- Folks with multiple mailboxes
- Various other slicing-n-dicing
Email users - personal touch is labor intensive, but works!
Generic "you've got too much space" does not ...
- Go after top-20 users who use disproportionate share of disk space
- You learn stuff by doing/looking at the output
No Pain, No Gain!