Canon 50D versus 40D
I owned a Canon Rebel XTi (400D) for almost a year and
to the 40D by ordering one
(funny Amazon saga) on August 26th, 2007.
Exactly a year later, Canon announces the 50D ... and it
appears to be quite the camera - here's a side-by-side
review of the Canon50D versus Canon 40D.
Most notable is the higher resolution LCD, 50% jump in megapixels,
and higher ISO capability (remains to be seen how noisy that will be) ...
but a number of other nice improvements that should make this one
heck of a DSLR.
||100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400 (H1), 12800 (H2)
||100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200 (H)
||3.0" - 920,000 dots - VGA
||3.0" - 230,000 dots
||Auto-focus with Face Detection
||Manual Focus Only
||6.3 fps up to 60 Jpegs - 90 with UDMA Card
||6.5 fps up to 75 Jpegs
||95% coverage at 0.95x magnification
||95% coverage at 0.9x magnification
||N3 connector - Wireless
||UDMA storage (much faster) HTP display on viewfinder, noise reduction levels, vigenetting adjust, auto-lighting
|Canon Technical Report
||NTSC, PAL, and HDMI!
||1/8000 to 30 seconds and Bulb
||35 area eval, Center weighted, Partial, Spot
|Top Flash X-Sync Speed
||1/250 second - be nice if higher
||All 9 cross-type with center high-precision/diagonal at F/2.8
|WeatherProofing - pics
||Foam on Battery and CF Door
||Canon BP-511A 1390mAh Li-Ion
|Shots with no flash
||810 grams - 28 ounces
||820 grams - 29 ounces
||146 x 108 x 74 mm (5.7 x 4.2 x 2.9 in)
|Intro US Price
||$1400 - Oct/2008
||$1300 - Aug/2007
||Canon 50D White Paper
||Canon 40D White Paper
After using the Canon 40D for a while, I wrote the following
as suggestions that would make the follow-on 50D even better - how did they do?
- YES - Everyone always asks for more megapixels, but that comes at a tradeoff
in terms of speed and image quality, especially high ISO performance.
Personally, 10 megapixels is OK ... but provide another stop reduction in noise.
50D actually seems a bit less noisy when you account for the 50% increase in pixels.
- NO - Standard blah-blah-blah about even better autofocus and image quality - 16 bit A-D?
- NO - Even faster continuous shooting ... and/or provide an option to go lower
image size (or crop) for faster frame rate.
- NO - Along those lines, some sort of movie-mood when used in conjunction with Live View.
- YES - Live View should also have contrast based autofocus via the sensor.
- NO - Heck, along those lines, make the LCD screen flexible!
- YES - Make the LCD 640x480 like everyone else ... this is a no-brainer!
- NO - Really cheap remote wireless control - heck, why not built the receiver into the camera and sell a small $20 trigger?
- TBD - How much more would it have cost to use real weatherproofing with rubber seals/gaskets?
- NO - The Rebel XTi LCD display can display all the shooting information and has a sensor near the viewfinder that detects when you put your eyeball up there and toggles it off. This ends up being really handy ... especially for us older folks since it's a challenge to read the smaller info display on top of the camera. Yes, we can replicate this on the 40D by hitting the Info button ... but that has to be done every single time. BTW, would be nice if they added the focus point
- YES - In-camera micro-focus adjustment ... better yet, release that as a firmware patch to the 40D.
- NO - Enhancements to the electronic shutter functionality so X-sync speeds can be really, really high.
- TBD - Cheaper, smaller, lighter, blah-blah-blah ... but same price point works if you add good features!
I welcome any comments on all of this.
Back to more camera stuff.
added - Canon 7D versus 50D.
Author: Alek Komarnitsky